Festive Tossed Salad with Walnuts Recipe
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a skillet, cook and stir walnuts in butter until toasted, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the sugar, pepper and salt.
- 2. In a salad bowl, toss the greens, cranberries, cheese and walnuts.
- 3. Place the dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth.
- 4. Drizzle desired amount over salad; toss to coat. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftover dressing. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 209 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Festive Tossed Salad with Walnuts
"This was delightful. Sever it at a hospitality room. They thought it was wonderful."
"Whoops - meant to add that I have used blue cheese in place of the feta and it was equally as good! Also, do not skip toasting the walnuts - this is what makes this recipe so good."
"I wish I could give this recipe 6 stars - it is HANDS DOWN the best salad recipe I have ever made. I have lost track of the amount of times I have been asked for the recipe."
"My Christmas menu also includes this salad. It is the most requested item! I make a double batch and there is NEVER any left."
"This is my husband most favorite salad. He is always asking for it. I double the dressing recipe. He can't get enough of it. Thanks for such a good recipe."