Festive Stars Recipe
Adding delightful dimension to a holiday cookie assortment, these clever interlocking Christmas stars are shared by Caren Zimmerman of Franklin, Wisconsin. See the illustrations below for their easy assembly.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup red colored sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. five-point star-shaped cookie cutter. Cut a vertical slit between two points on each star to just above the center; spread dough apart to form a 1/4-in. opening.
- 3. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar. Bake at 400° for 6-7 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Assemble by placing two stars together at slits. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 102 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC