Festive Spinach Salad
Baby spinach leaves get jazzed up with this simple, homemade salad dressing. Walnuts, bacon bits and pomegranate seeds make this attractive salad a regular on my holiday menus.—JoAnn Scannell, Dubuque, Iowa
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup fat-free French salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup cubed avocado
- 3 slices red onion, separated into rings
- 1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the salad dressing, orange
- juice, honey and paprika; shake well. Refrigerate for 1 hour or
- until chilled.
- In a salad bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Serve with
- dressing. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup salad with about 2 tablespoons dressing equals 134 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 359 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.