Festive Shortbread Logs Recipe
I first made these rich and tender cookies as a teenager and now make them for my husband and our two sons. The smiles on their faces are well worth the time and effort. —Michele Fenner, Girard, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:24 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Gradually add flour and mix well.
- 2. With lightly floured hands, shape tablespoonfuls into 2-in. logs. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges and bottom are lightly browned. Cool for 2-3 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- 3. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle chocolate over half of the cookies. Dip one end of remaining cookies into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle with walnuts. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 188 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 79 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC