I first made these rich and tender cookies as a teenager and now make them for my husband and our two sons. The smiles on their faces are well worth the time and effort. —Michele Fenner, Girard, Pennsylvania
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Gradually add flour and mix well.
- With lightly floured hands, shape tablespoonfuls into 2-in. logs. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges and bottom are lightly browned. Cool for 2-3 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle chocolate over half of the cookies. Dip one end of remaining cookies into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle with walnuts. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Festive Shortbread Logs in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p95
Reviews for Festive Shortbread Logs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review