Festive Roast Chicken Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 5 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium apples, peeled and cubed
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1. In a small bowl, combine butter and 3 teaspoons rosemary. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan; tie drumsticks together with kitchen string. Rub butter mixture over chicken; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the apples, onion, cranberries, 3/4 cup broth, lemon juice, garlic, ginger and 1 teaspoon rosemary; place around chicken.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Pour apple juice over chicken. Bake 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, basting every 30 minutes. Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before carving chicken.
- 3. Pour drippings and apple mixture into a blender; skim fat. Cover and process until blended. Transfer to a large saucepan. Stir in the vinegar, honey and remaining broth and rosemary; heat through. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings (5 cups gravy).
1 each: 731 calories, 39g fat (14g saturated fat), 199mg cholesterol, 626mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 58g protein.
Reviews for Festive Roast Chicken
"This was very good! It made a lot of sauce, so I was able to freeze some leftover sauce. Also added some cornstarch to thicken it. The butter/rosemary rub made a beautifully browned, moist chicken."