Festive Pineapple Boat
"My fondest childhood memories are centered in the kitchen with my mother," recounts Susan Phelan of Tallahassee, Florida. Reminiscent of one her mother taught her, this recipe is one she relishes sharing with her family.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 large fresh ripe pineapple
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans
- Dash ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons flaked coconut
- Fresh strawberries, optional
- Stand pineapple up and cut about a third off of one side, leaving the
- top attached. Remove fruit from the piece cut off and discard outer
- peel. Remove fruit from the remaining pineapple, leaving a 1/2-in.
- shell intact. Cut pineapple into bite-size pieces; toss with bananas
- and kiwi. Spoon into "boat".
- Combine brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over
- fruit. Sprinkle with coconut. Garnish with strawberries if desired.
- Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.