"My fondest childhood memories are centered in the kitchen with my mother," recounts Susan Phelan of Tallahassee, Florida. Reminiscent of one her mother taught her, this recipe is one she relishes sharing with her family.
- 1 large fresh ripe pineapple
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans
- Dash ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons flaked coconut
- Fresh strawberries, optional
- Stand pineapple up and cut about a third off of one side, leaving the top attached. Remove fruit from the piece cut off and discard outer peel. Remove fruit from the remaining pineapple, leaving a 1/2-in. shell intact. Cut pineapple into bite-size pieces; toss with bananas and kiwi. Spoon into "boat".
- Combine brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over fruit. Sprinkle with coconut. Garnish with strawberries if desired. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Festive Pineapple Boat in Country Woman May/June 1995, p9
Reviews for Festive Pineapple Boat
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review