VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large fresh ripe pineapple
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans
- Dash ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut
- Fresh strawberries, optional
- Stand pineapple up and cut about a third off of one side, leaving the top attached. Remove fruit from the piece cut off and discard outer peel. Remove fruit from the remaining pineapple, leaving a 1/2-in. shell intact. Cut pineapple into bite-size pieces; toss with bananas and kiwi. Spoon into "boat".
- Combine brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over fruit. Sprinkle with coconut. Garnish with strawberries if desired. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Festive Pineapple Boat in Country Woman May/June 1995, p9