With almonds, cashews, pecans and walnuts, this spiced cake is loaded with crunchy nuts. It's the perfect ending to a Christmastime feast. —Jeanne Kemper, Bagdad, Kentucky
Recommended: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup each chopped cashews, pecans and walnuts
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 teaspoons 2% milk
- Additional slivered almonds, salted cashews and pecan and walnut halves, toasted, optional
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 325°. Grease and flour a 10-in. tube pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter with almonds, cashews, pecans and walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over cake and, if desired, sprinkle with additional nuts. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Festive Nut Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p145
Reviews for Festive Nut Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review