Festive Napoleons with Thyme Cream Recipe
With the assembly required, we save these Napoleons for special occasions, but they're absolutely worth it. I like to experiment with unusual seasonings and thyme adds a surprising twist that works well with the honey and fruit." –Bridget Klusman, Otsego, Michigan
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup turbinado (washed raw) sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons walnut or canola oil
- 1-2/3 cups chopped walnuts, toasted
- CRANBERRY FILLING:
- 4 tangerines
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup turbinado (washed raw) sugar
- THYME CREAM:
- 1 carton (8 ounces) Mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- Additional chopped toasted walnuts
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, sugar, vanilla and salt until foamy. Gradually beat in flour. Beat in butter and oil. Fold in walnuts.
- With a pencil, draw five 3-in. circles on a sheet of parchment paper. Place paper, pencil mark down, on a baking sheet. Spread a heaping tablespoonful of batter over each circle. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter, making 30 cookies.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove peel from one tangerine. Peel and seed remaining tangerines and place in a food processor. Add the cranberries, sugar and tangerine peel. Cover and process until chopped. Transfer to a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thickened, about 10 minutes. Cool.
- For thyme cream, beat the cheese, yogurt, honey and thyme until thickened. Place one cookie on a small plate. Spread with 1 tablespoon cranberry filling and 1 tablespoon thyme cream. Repeat layers twice. Repeat with remaining cookies, cranberry filling and thyme cream. Sprinkle with additional walnuts. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Festive Napoleons with Thyme Cream in Taste of Home December/January 2011, p95
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Festive Napoleons with Thyme Cream(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Fresh Cranberry Recipes >
- New Year's Desserts >
- New Year's Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >