Festive Mint Jelly
This festive-looking jelly from Naomi Giddis of Two Buttes, Colorado, can be served with lamb or used as a dessert topping. With its bright-green color, the jelly makes a great gift, too.
88 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing Process: 10 min.
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 3 cups packed fresh mint, crushed
- 7 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 to 4 drops green food coloring
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid pectin
- In a large saucepan, bring water and mint to a boil. Remove from
- heat; cover and let stand 15 minutes. Strain, reserving 3-1/3 cups
- liquid (discard remaining liquid).
- In a Dutch oven, combine sugar, lemon juice, food coloring and
- reserved liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute. Add
- pectin; return to a boil. Cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat;
- let stand 5 minutes.
- Skim off foam. Ladle hot liquid into hot half-pint jars, leaving
- 1/4-in. headspace. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands
- until fingertip tight. Place jars in canner with simmering water
- ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a
- boil; process 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 11
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 62 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium,