- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Crumble beef over
- mixture and mix well. On a piece of heavy-duty foil, pat beef
- mixture into a 17-in. x 15-in. rectangle. Cover with ham and cheese
- slices to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Place
- seam side down in a roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, green pepper and garlic
- in oil for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes, broth, bay
- leaf, sugar, salt and thyme. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into sauce. Bring to
- a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Drain meat
- loaf. Serve with sauce. Yield: 15-20 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.