Festive King's Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Purple, yellow and green colored sugars
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar, yeast, salt and 2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add egg yolks; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- For filling, mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 24-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar lengthwise down one half of the dough. Fold dough lengthwise over filling; pinch seam to seal. Transfer to a greased baking sheet, seam side down. Shape into a ring, pinching ends together to seal. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. For topping, mix the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Spread over cake; sprinkle with colored sugars. Yield: 1 cake (16 slices).
Reviews for Festive King's Cake(6)
Sort By :
The top statement is incorrect. You get the baby and the next Friday you throw a Mardi Gras party, and whoever gets the baby each friday throws the party till Fat Tuesday. I am from New Orleans born and raised 47 years...it's our French Tradition.
Also King Cakes are made with brioche bread and do not taste like cinnoman rolls.
I made this cake the cake part was very good, but the filling was hard as a rock. What went wrong?
Easy & Delicious
Never mind...I checked the other king cake recipes on this site & finally found the answer. Place a small slit in the bottom of the cake after it is baked and insert the plastic baby.
Where does the plastic baby come in? Add after it is baked?
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >