Festive Hazelnut Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounces) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons warm milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water and milk. Add eggs, sugar, butter, salt and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a grease bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 2. For filling, combine nuts, brown sugar, raisins and cinnamon; set aside. Punch dough down and divide into fourths. Roll one portion into a 12-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Brush with some butter; sprinkle with 2/3 cup filling. Roll up, jelly roll-style, staring with a long side; pinch to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet; shape top to form a cane. Repeat with remaining dough, filling and butter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- 4. Combine the first five glaze ingredients; drizzle stripes over loaves. Sprinkle with nuts. Yield: 4 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 218 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 164 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Festive Hazelnut Coffee Cake
"We really enjoy this recipe at our house. When I asked my teenage son which Christmas baking I should start with, he right away said this coffee cake. My husband doesn't even want me to bring this to gatherings because that means less for him!"