Festive Hazelnut Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounces) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons warm milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water and milk. Add eggs, sugar, butter, salt and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a grease bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 2. For filling, combine nuts, brown sugar, raisins and cinnamon; set aside. Punch dough down and divide into fourths. Roll one portion into a 12-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Brush with some butter; sprinkle with 2/3 cup filling. Roll up, jelly roll-style, staring with a long side; pinch to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet; shape top to form a cane. Repeat with remaining dough, filling and butter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- 4. Combine the first five glaze ingredients; drizzle stripes over loaves. Sprinkle with nuts. Yield: 4 loaves.
1 slice: 218 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Festive Hazelnut Coffee Cake
"We really enjoy this recipe at our house. When I asked my teenage son which Christmas baking I should start with, he right away said this coffee cake. My husband doesn't even want me to bring this to gatherings because that means less for him!"