Festive Green Beans
This recipe can't be beat for a vegetable dish that sports the colors of the season and gets people coming back for seconds. This is a side dish my whole family enjoys. It is made with Mexican-style stewed tomatoes or salsa, it has zip.—Frances Janssen, Canyon Lake, Texas
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound fresh green beans or 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup Mexican stewed tomatoes or chunky salsa
- Cut beans into 2-in. pieces; place in a saucepan. Add water and salt
- if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or
- until tender; drain. Add the pepper, garlic powder and tomatoes;
- heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with fresh beans and salsa and without salt) equals 35 calories, 0.55 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 225 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 vegetable.