Festive Green Bean Casserole
This recipe came from a cookbook my son gave to me over 20 years ago. It's a tasty dish that I make often for family get-togethers and potluck suppers.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen French-style green beans, thawed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, saute red pepper and onion in butter until tender. Add
- soup, milk, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce; stir until
- smooth. Stir in beans and water chestnuts.
- Transfer to an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 144 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 404 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.