Festive Fruited Scones Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced dried fruit (apricots, apples or plums)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Additional sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking sods and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add fruit and orange peel. Stir in buttermilk until a soft dough forms.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently for 2-3 minutes. Shape into a ball. Roll into a 7-in. circle. Cut into 10 wedges; place on a greased baking sheet. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Yield: 10 scones.
1 each: 154 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 266mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Festive Fruited Scones
"I added an icing sugar glaze to the top of my scones and used 1 cup of fresh strawberries instead of the cranberries. My boyfriend said that they may have been the best scones he has ever tasted. A definite recommend to make again."
"A nice tender scone but we would have liked them if they'd been just a little sweeter. And next time I'll probably double the amount of fruit too."