Festive Fruit Pie Recipe
Fresh Banana slices, canned pineapple tidbits and chopped pecans dress up the cherry filling in this fuss-free pie from Dorothy Smith, El Dorado, Arkansas. For quicker results, you can substitute a prepared graham cracker crust for the baked pastry shell.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:12-14 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 can (14 ounces) pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
- 3 to 4 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 pastry shells, baked (9 inches)
- Whipped topping, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Stir in pie filling and pineapple. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin. Cool. Stir in bananas and pecans.
- 2. Pour into pie shells. Refrigerate for 3 hours. Garnish with whipped topping if desired. Yield: 2 pies (6-8 servings each).
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC