Festive Cranberry Drink
Warm or cold? Take your choice of how to serve this colorful autumn beverage. It’s such a pretty color, and the spicy sweet-tart flavor is delightful with a meal or snack.—Dixie Terry,Goreville, Illinois
12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3 quarts water, divided
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup red-hot candies
- 12 whole cloves
- In a Dutch oven, combine cranberries and 1 qt. water. Cook over
- medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes. Remove from the
- heat. Strain through a fine strainer, pressing mixture with a spoon;
- discard skins. Return cranberry pulp and juice to the pan.
- Stir in the sugar, juices, red-hots and remaining water. Place cloves
- on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Bring up corners of cloth and
- tie with kitchen string to form a bag; add to juice mixture. Bring
- to a boil; cook and stir until sugar and red-hots are dissolved.
- Remove from the heat. Strain through a fine mesh sieve or
- cheesecloth. Discard spice bag. Serve drink warm or cold. Yield: 3
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 178 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, trace protein.