Festive Corn Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of corn soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red or cayenne pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cooked rice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, stir flour and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is a light reddish-brown, about 10-15 minutes. Stir in the onion, celery, green pepper, green onions and garlic. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are just crisp-tender, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the broth, soup, tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add shrimp; cook for about 10 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Stir in parsley. Serve soup in bowls over rice. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 185 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 627 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Reviews for Festive Corn Soup
"This was delicious, My husband said one of the best soups I ever made. I used fresh corn off the cob ( worth it ) And added about a half pound of chicken i had left over from the grill, a little extra chicken broth, about 1/2 a cup. Will make again"