Festive Corn Soup Recipe
My mother used young ears of white corn to make this wonderful soup...I still remember her scraping off the kernels. I've updated her recipe to use corn soup instead, and I also added the shrimp to make it heartier still.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of corn soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red or cayenne pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cooked rice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, stir flour and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is a light reddish-brown, about 10-15 minutes. Stir in the onion, celery, green pepper, green onions and garlic. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are just crisp-tender, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the broth, soup, tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add shrimp; cook for about 10 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Stir in parsley. Serve soup in bowls over rice. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 185 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 627 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC