Festive Chocolate Hearts Recipe
I've been making thse cute cookies with mom since I was a little girl. They're certainly one of my favorites and very fast to make.—Maria Hull, Bartlett, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Red nonpareils
- 1. In a saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool for 15 minutes. Stir in egg.
- 2. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; add to butter mixture. Fold in walnuts. Cover and chill for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 9-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. For topping, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening over low heat; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. With a small spatula, spread a thin layer of chocolate mixture around edges of cookies; sprinkle with nonpareils. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: about 4 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC