Made to resemble a beach ball, this appetizer always rounds up compliments. It's filled with a variety of cheese, and each cut through the ball gives guests a taste along with garnishes of their choice.—Florence McClelland, Fredonia, New York
- 6 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup cooked tiny shrimp
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- 2 tablespoons crumbled cooked bacon
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimientos
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Assorted crackers
- In a large bowl, combine two packages of cream cheese and blue cheese until smooth. In a another large bowl, combine two packages of cream cheese and cheddar cheese; set aside. In a third bowl, beat the remaining cream cheese until fluffy; add the onions and garlic.
- In a 2-qt. bowl lined with plastic wrap, layer each portion of cream cheese. Invert onto a serving platter; remove plastic wrap and shape into a ball.
- With a sharp knife, score eight sections on the ball. Sprinkle each section with one of the toppings and press lightly. Serve with crackers. Yield: 7 cups.
Originally published as Festive Cheese Beach Ball in Country Woman July/August 2003, p24
Reviews for Festive Cheese Beach Ball
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 1, 2010
"This recipe is absolutely the best cheese ball I have ever made. I don't use some of the suggested toppings but, most. I don't like shrimp, so I may sub with chives!! You must try!!!"