Festive Cauliflower Casserole Recipe
My family asks for this dish every Christmas. It complements turkey or ham...and can be put together the day before the meal— a real convenience for a cook when the holiday rush is in full swing.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cut into florets
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1. In a large saucepan, place 1 in. of water; add the cauliflower. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Place in a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute green pepper and mushrooms in butter until tender. Add flour and salt; stir until blended. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add pimientos. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese until melted; pour over cauliflower.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 190 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 445 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC