My family asks for this dish every Christmas. It complements turkey or ham...and can be put together the day before the meal— a real convenience for a cook when the holiday rush is in full swing.
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cut into florets
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, place 1 in. of water; add the cauliflower. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Place in a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, saute green pepper and mushrooms in butter until tender. Add flour and salt; stir until blended. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add pimientos. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese until melted; pour over cauliflower.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Festive Cauliflower Casserole in Country Woman Christmas 1996, p25
Reviews for Festive Cauliflower Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review