Festive Carrot Souffle Recipe
"This festive flavorful side dish is perfect for company," reports Mrs. Travis Baker of Litchfield, Illinois. "I have made souffles for years using other vegetables, but carrots remain our family's favorite."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + cooling Bake: 40 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 2-1/4 cups sliced carrots
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce or 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain. Place carrots in a food processor or blender; cover and process until pureed. Measure 1 cup and set aside.
- 2. For white sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper sauce until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Add 1/3 cup white sauce; mix well. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the pureed carrots; mix well. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- 4. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold a third of the egg whites into carrot mixture. Fold in the remaining egg whites. Pour into a greased 2-qt. souffle dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until top is golden brown and puffy. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC