- 2-1/4 cups sliced carrots
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce or 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain. Place carrots in a food processor or blender; cover and process until pureed. Measure 1 cup and set aside.
- For white sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper sauce until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Add 1/3 cup white sauce; mix well. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the pureed carrots; mix well. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold a third of the egg whites into carrot mixture. Fold in the remaining egg whites. Pour into a greased 2-qt. souffle dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until top is golden brown and puffy. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Carrot Souffle in Quick Cooking November/December 2001, p61
Reviews for Festive Carrot Souffle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review