Festive Butter Cookies
This is the perfect cookie to add to your cookie plates during the holidays. They are so delicious and almost melt in your mouth.Dorothy Jennings, Waterloo, Iowa
36 ServingsPrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ROYAL ICING:
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- Red, green, yellow, turquoise and purple paste food coloring
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg
- and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt;
- gradually beat into creamed mixture. Shape dough into a disk; wrap
- in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to
- 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place
- 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire
- racks to cool completely.