Festive Butter Cookies Recipe
This is the perfect cookie to add to your cookie plates during the holidays. They are so delicious and almost melt in your mouth.Dorothy Jennings, Waterloo, Iowa
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ROYAL ICING:
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- Red, green, yellow, turquoise and purple paste food coloring
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Shape dough into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, water and meringue powder; beat on low speed just until blended. Beat on high 4-5 minutes or until soft peaks form.
- Divide and tint icing with colors of your choice. Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.
- Working quickly with one color at a time, pipe outlines on some of the cookies; fill centers with thinned icing of the same color. Let stand until set.
- If desired, add designs or writing to cookies. Let stand at room temperature for several hours or until icing is completely firm. Store in airtight containers. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Festive Butter Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Country Style 2009 2009, p30
Reviews for Festive Butter Cookies(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 1, 2012
My coookies turned out as pretty as the pictures!! So easy!