Festive Brioches Recipe
I love creating recipes, and these light and luscious rolls are among my holiday originals. Sometimes I'll substitute chocolate or butterscotch chips, raisins and cherries.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped candied pineapple
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water; let stand for 5 minutes. In a bowl, cream butter, 1/3 cup sugar and salt. Add 1 cup flour and milk. Separate one egg, refrigerate egg white. Add yolk and remaining eggs to the creamed mixture. Stir in the yeast mixture, fruit and remaining flour. Spoon into a greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Punch dough down; turn onto a floured surface. Divide into four portions. Divide three of the portions into eight pieces each. Shape into balls and place in well-greased muffin cups. Divide remaining dough into 24 small balls. Make a depression in the top of each large ball; place a small ball in each depression. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Beat reserved egg white and remaining sugar; brush over rolls. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans; cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 158 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 152 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC