Fennel-Stuffed Twice-Baked Potatoes Recipe
In my opinion, nothing is as versatile as the potato. I recently decided to try cooking with fennel and wanted to combine the flavor in a great baked potato. The cheese, fennel, garlic and pine nuts lend this appealing side dish delicious Italian flair. —Pam Ivbuls, Omaha, Nebraska
- 6 large baking potatoes
- 2 large fennel bulbs, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 6 ounces farmer or fontina cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Scrub and pierce potatoes. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until tender.
- Meanwhile, saute fennel in oil until crisp-tender. Add sugar and salt. Cook and stir for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to low; cook 10 minutes longer, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until fennel is golden brown. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Cool potatoes for 5 minutes. When cool enough to handle, cut a thin slice off the top of each potato and discard. Scoop out the pulp, leaving thin shells.
- In a large bowl, mash pulp with butter. Stir in the milk, cheese, sour cream and fennel mixture. Spoon into potato shells. Place on a baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Fennel-Stuffed Twice-Baked Potatoes in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p50
Reviews for Fennel-Stuffed Twice-Baked Potatoes(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 1, 2014
Caramelized Garlic and Fennel are a perfect combo in this Italian-stuffed potato!
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Potatoes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Easter Side Dishes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potato Side Dishes >