Fennel-Potato Au Gratin
The tender potato slices in this cozy casserole have a mild fennel flavor with a hint of nutmeg. Add a creamy sauce and a sprinkling of Parmesan, and you have a homey side dish your family will ask for again and again.
12 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 9 cups sliced peeled potatoes
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish, combine the potatoes and
- fennel; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth;
- gradually add the broth, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over
- potato mixture; gently toss to coat.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender.
- Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer or until
- cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 218 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 423 mg sodium,