Fennel-Potato Au Gratin Recipe
The tender potato slices in this cozy casserole have a mild fennel flavor with a hint of nutmeg. Add a creamy sauce and a sprinkling of Parmesan, and you have a homey side dish your family will ask for again and again.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours YIELD:12 servings
- 9 cups sliced peeled potatoes
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish, combine the potatoes and fennel; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the broth, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over potato mixture; gently toss to coat.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup equals 218 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 423 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC