The tender potato slices in this cozy casserole have a mild fennel flavor with a hint of nutmeg. Add a creamy sauce and a sprinkling of Parmesan, and you have a homey side dish your family will ask for again and again.
- 9 cups sliced peeled potatoes
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish, combine the potatoes and fennel; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the broth, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over potato mixture; gently toss to coat.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Fennel-Potato Au Gratin in Taste of Home December/January 2008, p19
Reviews for Fennel-Potato Au Gratin
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review