Fennel Orange Salad
You'll need just a few ingredients to fix this fresh-tasting salad. The combination of crisp fennel and juicy oranges is delightful. To reduce last-minutes prep, make it the day before you plan to serve it.
Nina Hall of Citrus Heights, California
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 fennel bulb with fronds (about 3/4 pound)
- 4 medium navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Finely chop enough fennel fronds to measure 1/4 cup; set aside. Cut
- fennel bulb in half lengthwise; remove and discard the tough outer
- layer, fennel core and any green stalks. Cut widthwise into thin
- slices and measure 3 cups; place in a large bowl. Add orange
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the orange juice, oil,
- orange peel, salt and pepper; shake well. Pour over fennel and
- oranges; toss gently. Sprinkle with reserved fronds. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 143 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 193 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.