Fennel Carrot Soup Recipe
Marlene Bursey of Waverley, Nova Scotia sent the recipe for this soup that's perfect as a first course for a special-occasion dinner. The pretty pumpkin-orange soup get delicious flavor from toasted fennel seeds--a pleasant complement to the carrots, apple and sweet potato.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1-1/2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium apple, peeled and cubed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons uncooked long grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add fennel; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Add carrots, sweet potato and apple; cook and stir 5 minutes longer.
- 2. Stir in broth, rice, bay leaf and curry powder; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until vegetables and rice are soft.
- 3. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. Process in batches in a blender until smooth; return to pan. Stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup equals 117 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 989 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC