Fennel Breadsticks Recipe
Great with salad or soup, these Italian-style breadsticks have a mild fennel taste. Field editor Joan Hallford of North Richland Hills, Texas also likes to serve them with spaghetti or lasagna. “I freeze leftovers for later use,” she notes.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. YIELD:17 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil, milk, fennel seed and salt and 3-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch down dough. Let rest for 10 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into fourths.
- 4. Work with one portion of dough at a time, keeping remaining dough covered with plastic wrap. Cut each portion into 17 pieces; roll each into a 7-in. rope. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Beat egg and water; brush over dough.
- 5. Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 68 breadsticks.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC