Fennel Breadsticks Recipe
Great with salad or soup, these Italian-style breadsticks have a mild fennel taste. Field editor Joan Hallford of North Richland Hills, Texas also likes to serve them with spaghetti or lasagna. “I freeze leftovers for later use,” she notes.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil, milk, fennel seed and salt and 3-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch down dough. Let rest for 10 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into fourths.
- 4. Work with one portion of dough at a time, keeping remaining dough covered with plastic wrap. Cut each portion into 17 pieces; roll each into a 7-in. rope. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Beat egg and water; brush over dough.
- 5. Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 68 breadsticks.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC