Fennel au Gratin
Here's a lovely variation on traditional potatoes au gratin. Rich and buttery, this baked side dish has just the right amount of fennel flavor.Sue Kauffman, Columbia City, Indiana
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 large fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Add fennel;
- cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and pat
- dry; place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper
- until smooth; gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir
- for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Gruyere cheese. Pour
- over fennel and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20
- minutes longer or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 215 calories, 19 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 271 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.