Fennel au Gratin Recipe
Here's a lovely variation on traditional potatoes au gratin. Rich and buttery, this baked side dish has just the right amount of fennel flavor.Sue Kauffman, Columbia City, Indiana
- 2 large fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Add fennel; cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and pat dry; place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Gruyere cheese. Pour over fennel and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fennel au Gratin in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p165
Reviews for Fennel au Gratin(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review