Featherlight Rolls Recipe
“Aptly named for their featherlight texture, these tender rolls from my Mama-Louise Smart-were a favorite of family and friends alike,” writes Terri Duhon from Bryan, Texas. “They're just as tasty the next day with a slice of cheese on each section of the cloverleaf.”
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand 5 minutes. Add the milk, shortening, eggs, salt, 3 cups flour and remaining sugar. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (mixture will be sticky). Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 portions. Divide each portion into three pieces; shape each into a ball. Place three balls in each greased muffin cup. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-3/4 hours.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 126 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 158 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Featherlight Rolls
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC