Feathered Friend Cookies Recipe
The sky's the limit when you fix a flock of these tempting treats. Let your imagination soar as egg yolk glaze transforms plain sugar cookies into fanciful winged wonders.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 6 egg yolks
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- paste or gel food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, sour cream and extracts. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 4-in. bird cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- For each color of glaze, beat 1 egg yolk and 1/4 teaspoon water in a custard cup; tint with paste food coloring. Decorate cookies as desired. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1-2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Feathered Friend Cookies in Quick Cooking May/June 1999, p37
Reviews for Feathered Friend Cookies(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review