Feather Whole Wheat Rolls Recipe
- 4 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 2 tablespoons sugar in warm water. Add the milk, eggs, oil, salt, remaining sugar and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- 2. Punch dough down. Divide into thirds. Cover and refrigerate two portions. Turn the remaining portion onto a lightly floured surface; roll or pat to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a lightly floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Repeat with remaining dough. Place rolls 2-1/2-in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- 3. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Remove to wire racks. Yield: about 5 dozen.
1 each: 140 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Feather Whole Wheat Rolls
"recipe does make a lot. also, very sweet, especially with the wholewheat flour. used the full 5 cups of regular flour, but i found it hard too manage...too sticky."
"This makes a lot, I would suggest cutting the recipe in half."