Feather Whole Wheat Rolls Recipe
My grandmother and mother have made this recipe famous in our family as well as our community. We never sit down to Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner without these melt-in-your-mouth rolls.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. YIELD:48 servings
- 4 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 2 tablespoons sugar in warm water. Add the milk, eggs, oil, salt, remaining sugar and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- 2. Punch dough down. Divide into thirds. Cover and refrigerate two portions. Turn the remaining portion onto a lightly floured surface; roll or pat to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a lightly floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Repeat with remaining dough. Place rolls 2-1/2-in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- 3. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Remove to wire racks. Yield: about 5 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 140 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 119 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC