Feather-Light Doughnuts Recipe
When I was growing up, our farm family always had an abundance of mashed potatoes at the supper table. We loved to use leftovers in these fluffy doughnuts. —Darlene Alexander, Nekoosa, Wisconsin
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup cold mashed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add potatoes, 1/2 cup sugar, oil, salt, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder and eggs; mix well. Add enough flour to form a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Punch dough down; roll out on a floured surface to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. doughnut cutter. Place on greased baking sheets; cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar; set aside. Heat oil in an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer to 350°; fry doughnuts until golden on both sides. Drain on paper towels; roll in cinnamon-sugar while still warm. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Feather-Light Doughnuts
Reviewed Mar. 10, 2010
"Loved the doughnuts. They tasted just like Krisy Kream. I'm making again today making only a half of a recipe. The last time I tried this recipe I had way too many for 9 doughnut lovers."
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC