Feather-Light Doughnuts Recipe
When I was growing up, our farm family always had an abundance of mashed potatoes at the supper table. We loved to use leftovers in these fluffy doughnuts. —Darlene Alexander, Nekoosa, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Cook: 20 min. YIELD:30 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup cold mashed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add potatoes, 1/2 cup sugar, oil, salt, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder and eggs; mix well. Add enough flour to form a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Punch dough down; roll out on a floured surface to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. doughnut cutter. Place on greased baking sheets; cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar; set aside. Heat oil in an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer to 350°; fry doughnuts until golden on both sides. Drain on paper towels; roll in cinnamon-sugar while still warm. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC