A sweet cranberry-orange glaze is the perfect topping for these fluffy doughnuts. Friends and family request a batch of these treats of a birthday present! Shirley Johnson, Warrens, Wisconsin
36 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + rising Cook: 30 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup cranberry juice
- 1 tablespoon orange extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter,
- sugar, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in
- enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in.
- thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. Place on
- greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1