Favorite White Bread Recipe
Knowing how much I like to bake bread, an aunt shared this recipe with me. I enjoy making it on rainy days and giving the house a warm, homey feeling. Nancy Perry, Sayre, Pennsylvania
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 9 to 10 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the egg, shortening, sugar, salt and 5 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, make five shallow diagonal slashes across the top of each loaf. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with butter. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each.).
Originally published as Country White Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p44
Reviews for Favorite White Bread(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review