Favorite Sweet-and-Sour Chicken Recipe
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce, sherry or broth, salt, garlic powder and ginger; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add enough water to juice to measure 1 cup. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, sugar and pineapple juice mixture until smooth; stir in vinegar, ketchup and remaining soy sauce. Set aside.
- 3. Drain chicken and discard marinade. Place remaining cornstarch in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large nonstick skillet or wok coated with cooking spray, stir-fry chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 4. Stir pineapple juice mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and reserved pineapple; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup chicken mixture with 1/2 cup rice equals 428 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 571 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Reviews for Favorite Sweet-and-Sour Chicken
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.