- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce, sherry or broth, salt, garlic powder and ginger; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add enough water to juice to measure 1 cup. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, sugar and pineapple juice mixture until smooth; stir in vinegar, ketchup and remaining soy sauce. Set aside.
- Drain chicken and discard marinade. Place remaining cornstarch in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large nonstick skillet or wok coated with cooking spray, stir-fry chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- Stir pineapple juice mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and reserved pineapple; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Favorite Sweet-and-Sour Chicken
"I have made this dish several times over the years since I first saw it in healthy Cooking and my husband and father both enjoyed it. I have added green peppers and onions to the recipe if I have them on hand."
"This one is a keeper. I added sauteed onions and bell peppers. Delicious!"
"Great! I added some stir fried green peppers and onions."
"My family and I did not like this dish. We thought it was too sour and the ketchup flavor was too strong. Only 1 person out of 11 people loved it, everyone else thought it was either ok or couldn't finish it."
"A little too sweet for me, but my six and three year olds loved it except for the cooked pineapple. I like the idea of adding some sauteed onion and green pepper."
"Did not like this. It was bitter and too sweet."
"I make this often. It is a favorite!"
"Oh my goodness - this tastes so good! So much better than I thought. Better than take out! hahaha no tipping. I added/changed a couple things but this is a keeper! I used red wine instead of cider vinegar. I added 3/4 of a green pepper sauted with a dash of olive oil & 1 1/2 cups of frozen brocoili. I added the veg to the chicken and sauce at the very end. I topped the dishes after they were served with peanuts & a bit of sliced green peppers & toasted sesame seeds. Very kid friendly too - my three year old ate all of his small bowl full without any prompting :)"
"This recipe is easy, Tasty, and looks great! I will make this again. Was fun to make! My family loved it!"