- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce, sherry or broth, salt, garlic powder and ginger; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add enough water to juice to measure 1 cup. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, sugar and pineapple juice mixture until smooth; stir in vinegar, ketchup and remaining soy sauce. Set aside.
- Drain chicken and discard marinade. Place remaining cornstarch in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large nonstick skillet or wok coated with cooking spray, stir-fry chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- Stir pineapple juice mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and reserved pineapple; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Favorite Sweet-and-Sour Chicken
Sort By :
This one is a keeper. I added sauteed onions and bell peppers. Delicious!
Great! I added some stir fried green peppers and onions.
My family and I did not like this dish. We thought it was too sour and the ketchup flavor was too strong. Only 1 person out of 11 people loved it, everyone else thought it was either ok or couldn't finish it.
A little too sweet for me, but my six and three year olds loved it except for the cooked pineapple. I like the idea of adding some sauteed onion and green pepper.
Excellent recipe!! I made this for dinner and got so many compliments. Next time though, I would add the chicken just before you serve it. I added it too early and it got a little bit soggy
More Recipe Collections
- Asian Dinners >
- Asian Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Stir Fry >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >