Favorite Swedish Rye Recipe
“My family likes a variety of breads. I made up this recipe as an experiment years ago, and it’s still a staple in my home. Sometimes I serve it with cheese and deli coldcuts.”—Lorraine Caland Thunder Bay, Ontario
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 2 cups golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rye flour
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. Place raisins in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the brown sugar, molasses, shortening, salt, rye flour and 4 cups all-purpose flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Knead in raisins. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Punch dough down; shape into three round loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (8 wedges each).
1 wedge equals 264 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC