- 2 cups golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rye flour
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- Place raisins in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the brown sugar, molasses, shortening, salt, rye flour and 4 cups all-purpose flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Knead in raisins. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; shape into three round loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (8 wedges each).
Reviews for Favorite Swedish Rye
"I made this bread this morning, and realized the recipe didn't state when to add the raisins. I added them to the end of the knead...they seem well dispersed, and held up pretty well. Let me know if anyone has any other suggestions as to when they should be added!"