Favorite Skillet Dinner Recipe
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen green beans
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, brown chicken over medium heat in oil and butter for 5-6 minutes on each side. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with margarine and low-sodium chicken broth and without added salt) equals 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 starch; also, 260 calories, 111 mg sodium, 73 mg cholesterol, 18 gm carbohydrate, 30 gm protein, 8 gm fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.