Favorite Pumpkin Cake Roll Recipe
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and pumpkin, beating on high until sugar is almost dissolved.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gently fold into pumpkin mixture. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and freeze until firm. May be frozen for up to 3 months. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before cutting. Dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Favorite Pumpkin Cake Roll
Sort By :
"I have used this recipe now for 3 yrs, to take to both my family Thanksgiving, my family Christmas, and also my boyfriend's family Thanksgiving and family Christmas. It's a hit every year, my kids love it. My boyfriends mother told me she tried Buskins pumpkin roll and it just wasn't as good as "mine." I used to feel like it took so long to make, but now I have it down & it truly takes about 45 mins. I follow recipe exactly as it is, it needs NO changes. I put it in the fridge afterwards to let it moisten up. I've never used the freezer. There's no reason to try any other pumpkin roll recipe b/c this is amazing, for sure."
"This was a big hit at our thanksgiving dinner!! And it was fairly simple to make."
"Very Good! Thanks so much!!"
"My children declared this the best cake ever. Even my 12-mo-old devoured it. I substituted honey for the butter in the frosting and it gave a nice little hint of honey."
"This is excellent! I am a seasoned cook and baker. This is one of the best pumpkin rolls I have ever eaten. Easy to do, the egg whites do the trick!"